Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Chinese Hawthorn Tree 山楂树

This is one of those I'm Chinese and I'm addicted to stuff that I can't find in the US things. I LOVE Chinese Hawthorn Berries. Chinese Hawthorn Berry Kabob is a stable snack for Chinese kids and I grew up with it. The fresh berries are not available in the US, which has been a really big annoyance for me for years. Now I have some outdoor space, I'm thinking that I can plant one myself. Instead of waiting for 4 years for it to flower and fruit, I found a website that sells the semi-grownup tree. Well, we have to wait until spring for it to be available, but hey, at least I know I can get it somewhere :).
Here's the medicinal effect of Chinese Hawthorn Berries, it's good for high blood pressure (lowers blood pressure). If you don't like eating the fruit, you can dry them up and make tea with it too, which also tastes excellent :).

2 comments:

  1. how is your hawthorn tree? Is it growing big enough to have fruit? I like hawthorn a lot, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahha, no. I never bought it. Now that you reminded me, I should probably buy one at some point :)

    ReplyDelete